Spelt, like Quinoa is an ancient grain. It has been around for thousands of years and has not changed much, if at all. It is high in fibre and protein, is free of wheat. That does not mean gluten though. The spelt is mixed here with zucchini noodles which I used a spiralizer to achieve. Spiralizing is a great way to sneak in veggies.
1 cup chickpeas
10 button mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped olives
3 cloves garlic
dried oregano (just a pinch)
500 grams of spelt pasta
1 cup strained pureed tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Start by boiling the pasta water (it will take longer to boil the water then to make the sauce)
2. Finely chop the garlic, oregano and scallion, saute in a pan with some grape seed oil.
3. Spiral the zucchini so they imitate the shape of the pasta.
4. Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add the zucchini spirals to the pan and cook until soft.
6. Add the tomato puree and toss gently
7. Finally add the chick peas and olives to the pan, let stand off the heat until the pasta is cooked.
8. Toss the spelt noodles with the rest of the zoodle and chickpea mixture.